Friday, June 17, 2011

No cookie for you!

Let's face it- I've always loved discounts & freebies!
I grew up seeing my Mom put together shopping lists with her big rubber-banded coupon holder & spending several hours in the store helping her shop for the month's worth of groceries. (I was about 10 before I realized that she took us along as a guarantee that we would be there to help her carry everything in the house when she got home, not because she loved having to deal with us at the supermarket. Ingenious!!)
I've used coupons my entire adult life & have had to step it up since going on maternity leave this spring, which has allowed me to amass a small stock pile (252 items for which I only paid an average of 40% for) of necessities & items I wouldn't have normally been able to afford, that will last us a good long while (won't be buying deodorant or shampoo/conditioner for months!).
I've even crossed the bridge of giveaways & freebies- after all- someone wants to give you something free just for trying it, for your opinion or for using their service- why the heck not?!? It's not like I can afford to do those things if I have to pay full price for them.

So I was appalled the other day while reading comments in response to a Nook post on Facebook regarding free cookies when you purchase a frappuccino by showing the "coupon" you downloaded to your Nook to the cashier.
So many people commented about not liking frappuccino & how disappointed they were that this was the drink you had to get or that there wasn't something "better" for free.

WHAT?!? Barnes & Noble is giving you a cookie! Something free is better than nothing free- what is the problem here!?! Has our society become that selfish, self serving & down right gluttonous regarding what people think they deserve to have handed to them on a silver platter that people can't be grateful for a free cookie?!?
I don't get it!

In this day & age, we have to take what we can get & be grateful for it. Companies don't have to give stuff away, but they choose to- granted it is for their own benefit, but free helps me out & I'm happy to let them take advantage of me if I'm getting something out of it.
Most people can't afford to be picky about freebies; so if all you are going to do is complain about something that's offered to you for free because it doesn't live up to your standard of what you think you deserve- get your snobby nose out of the checkout line so those of us who appreciate the opportunity can get ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment